Talking Classics

We love video games but were talking classics here


    SNK's CRYSTALIS

    Share
    avatar
    Chapel
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 205
    Join date : 2011-05-04
    Age : 29
    Location : Honolulu, HI

    SNK's CRYSTALIS

    Post by Chapel on Wed May 04, 2011 9:10 pm



    or, God Slayer: Sonata of the Far-Away Sky in Japanese


    This is my favorite video game. This is my jamz. When a lot of other gamers are asked "What's your favorite video game?" a lot fot he time you'll get answers like "OH GEE WHIZ, THERE'S JUST SO MANY! THERE"S SO MANY THAT I LOVE I CAN'T JUST PICK ONE!"

    Me? Nope. Crystalis. Right here. This game right here.



    Awesome. This is literally the game that said to me "Hey, Super Mario is cool. And Sonic is cool. Video games are cool. But you also know what video games are? FUCKING WORKS OF ART." As you can tell I was pretty blown away when I was 3. This was more grand than anything I'd ever been exposed to before. It had an epic storytelling atmosphere, intriguing background characters, great environments and an interesting gameplay mechanic in which your CHARACTER gains LEVELS. Well this just threw everything I knew about games right out the window for me as a child and thus my journey into video games began.

    What I am not here to discuss is the awful GBC port:



    This sucks. Do not play this. The smaller screen ruins your view, the music is worse, the story has been ruined, and the overall feel is just.. diluted.

    Anyone else like this game? Very Happy
    avatar
    deadpixels
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 108
    Join date : 2011-05-03
    Age : 34
    Location : Newark, Delaware

    Re: SNK's CRYSTALIS

    Post by deadpixels on Wed May 04, 2011 9:16 pm

    It's great to see someone else loves this overlooked classic. Crystalis is indeed a classic, and one of the best adventures for the NES. While I own both versions, I honestly can't say that I've ever played my GBC copy, it's a shame to hear it didn't turn out so well.

    I hope to god my save battery still works, as I'd love to start a game of Crystalis this week and finally finish it up. It's probably been 15 years since I last played it, and I was stuck in the damn ice cave near the end of the game.

    avatar
    Czernobog
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 244
    Join date : 2011-05-04
    Location : Chicago Land

    Re: SNK's CRYSTALIS

    Post by Czernobog on Wed May 04, 2011 9:21 pm

    Oh, I had only played the GBC port of Crystalis so I never understood why anyone praised it as being really good. This explains a lot. I need to give the NES version a fair chance to see what I've been missing.

    --


    Gaming Through the Ages Blog: http://gamingthroughtheages.blogspot.com/
    avatar
    Chapel
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 205
    Join date : 2011-05-04
    Age : 29
    Location : Honolulu, HI

    Re: SNK's CRYSTALIS

    Post by Chapel on Wed May 04, 2011 9:24 pm

    My copy is from when the game first came out, given to me by an uncle after he played it. And my battery works perfectly to this day. Hopefully yours will too.

    I don't remember any particular ice caves after Mt. Sabre and maybe the area around Portoa. Wonder which that was...




    Czernobog wrote:Oh, I had only played the GBC port of Crystalis so I never understood why anyone praised it as being really good. This explains a lot. I need to give the NES version a fair chance to see what I've been missing.

    --


    Gaming Through the Ages Blog: http://gamingthroughtheages.blogspot.com/

    The thing that hurts the worst is how they did the screen. It looks like an image that's been zoomed in too far and you're missing out on all of the edges. Enemies are hard enough in the original and now to barely be able to see them compared to the NES version is just.. aggravating.

    Also the story in the NES version is a little... darker? more pessimistic? Eerie. Yeah the NES version is a more eerie game in general.
    avatar
    deadpixels
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 108
    Join date : 2011-05-03
    Age : 34
    Location : Newark, Delaware

    Re: SNK's CRYSTALIS

    Post by deadpixels on Wed May 04, 2011 9:32 pm

    Chapel wrote:My copy is from when the game first came out, given to me by an uncle after he played it. And my battery works perfectly to this day. Hopefully yours will too.

    I don't remember any particular ice caves after Mt. Sabre and maybe the area around Portoa. Wonder which that was...




    Czernobog wrote:Oh, I had only played the GBC port of Crystalis so I never understood why anyone praised it as being really good. This explains a lot. I need to give the NES version a fair chance to see what I've been missing.

    --


    Gaming Through the Ages Blog: http://gamingthroughtheages.blogspot.com/

    The thing that hurts the worst is how they did the screen. It looks like an image that's been zoomed in too far and you're missing out on all of the edges. Enemies are hard enough in the original and now to barely be able to see them compared to the NES version is just.. aggravating.

    Also the story in the NES version is a little... darker? more pessimistic? Eerie. Yeah the NES version is a more eerie game in general.

    You know, watching some videos on Youtube it seems like it was indeed near Portoa. Seems like the game is much longer than I thought it was. Talk about an epic!
    avatar
    Chapel
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 205
    Join date : 2011-05-04
    Age : 29
    Location : Honolulu, HI

    Re: SNK's CRYSTALIS

    Post by Chapel on Wed May 04, 2011 9:39 pm

    You know what? I couldn't get past Portoa for YEARS as a kid. It just didn't occur to me why I was so conveniently given the Paralysis spell until much later and I had an incredibly huge "OH MY GOD REALLY? THAT'S ALL I HAD TO DO?!" moment.

    And yeah Portoa is pretty much only the third area of the game.You still gotta find the next town, cross the ocean, find the next town, go through the desert, find the next town, go to the fort, find all of the hidden items scattered throughout the world, etc. etc.

    Like I said: this game changed my life.
    avatar
    deadpixels
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 108
    Join date : 2011-05-03
    Age : 34
    Location : Newark, Delaware

    Re: SNK's CRYSTALIS

    Post by deadpixels on Wed May 04, 2011 9:42 pm

    Chapel wrote:You know what? I couldn't get past Portoa for YEARS as a kid. It just didn't occur to me why I was so conveniently given the Paralysis spell until much later and I had an incredibly huge "OH MY GOD REALLY? THAT'S ALL I HAD TO DO?!" moment.

    And yeah Portoa is pretty much only the third area of the game.You still gotta find the next town, cross the ocean, find the next town, go through the desert, find the next town, go to the fort, find all of the hidden items scattered throughout the world, etc. etc.

    Like I said: this game changed my life.

    Sounds awesome, I'll have to pop it in tomorrow and see if my save battery is still alive and kicking. Got me a new set of Acclaim wireless NES controllers the other day I've been wanting to test out, so this could be the perfect excuse.

    If you're a big fan of Crystalis I strongly recommend checking out Willow if you haven't already. It's another gem of an adventure.

    avatar
    Chapel
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 205
    Join date : 2011-05-04
    Age : 29
    Location : Honolulu, HI

    Re: SNK's CRYSTALIS

    Post by Chapel on Wed May 04, 2011 9:46 pm

    Oh cool. I'll try it out! I really like the movie, but I heard no details concerning the game. Only heard they made it.

    Sponsored content

    Re: SNK's CRYSTALIS

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:09 pm