Talking Classics

We love video games but were talking classics here

What do you do outside of vidya?

Chapel

What do you do outside of vidya?

Post by Chapel on Wed May 11, 2011 6:13 am

My favorite thing besides video games is comics. I like comics of all kinds, though my publisher of choice in American comics is DC, particularly the Vertigo imprint. However, I love me some cape comics and believe that people who don't like superheroes are inherently bad people and shouldn't be trusted. I mean like "better dead than red" Communist witch hunting in the 50's untrustworthy.

I also love Japanese comics, though a lot of the genres aren't my cup of tea.

I've slacked off of reading stuff at the moment with the only thing I'm keeping up with regularly is Jojo's Bizarre Adventure whenever they upload new, translated chapters. It doesn't come out officially in English, so I have to wait for fan translations. My FAVORITE Japanese comic is Trigun/Trigun Maximum.

Favorite American superhero? Green Lantern Kyle Rayner. Favorite American comic? ... uh... I dunno. I read so many lol. Well most recently it would probably be Grant Morrison's Batman run. Non-cape comic... I dunno. I'll not include the fringe cape books in that, so I'll consider Sandman and Swamp Thing "non-cape" since they don't resemble your typical superhero fair. I've tried reading stuff like Stray Bullets and Walking Dead but (with the former) couldn't get into it and (with the latter) grew tired of it. I liked Walking Dead and I read up to issue ~40 (whenever the prison story arc is starting to close) but I just lost interest. I might pick it up again. I didn't like the tv show as they changed some of the characters WAY too much for my liking.

Speaking of: I don't really watch tv, but I keep up with certain shows. My favorite shows on tv now are Parks & Recreation, Archer, American Dad!, and Bob's Burgers. They're the only ones I keep up with regularly. My fiancee has me keeping up with The Office, but I find P&R far funnier. and while I watch AD! and Bob's Burgers I abhor Family Guy, the Cleveland Show, and current/post-1999 Simpsons. I haven't been keeping up with Futurama since the new episodes started, saw the movies though.

I don't catch many movies. I watch superhero movies for the most part just to see them, but I don't go out of my way. I like to watch 70's and 80's horror movies though. Loved them since I was a kid and watched them with my mom.

I don't listen to much music worth talking about. Oh well. Just not my thing.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS DO BESIDES VIDEO GAMES?

XBL, PSN, Raptr, Backloggery, Racketboy, steam, etc., screen name: brainofjtd
    Marulu
    Admin
    Admin

Re: What do you do outside of vidya?

Post by Marulu on Wed May 11, 2011 6:36 am

hmm things which I do besides of videogames...
    ...I do read magas my favorite one is Naruto
    ...I´m into jailbreaking iphones
    ...I hear Dead Metal as music
    ...I don´t watch TV too mutch ads
    Thats all about me

Czernobog

Post by Czernobog on Wed May 11, 2011 12:05 pm

I hang out with friends fairly often
    I've been slowly, slowly, slowly, but surely learning Japanese (a little a each day)
    I watch movies pretty often
    I watch some TV shows via the Interwebs (but very few)
    I listen to music (usually using Youtube playlists)
    I work with videography (my career path)

Gaming Through the Ages Blog: http://gamingthroughtheages.blogspot.com/
    HoboFox
    Retro gamer
    Retro gamer

Post by HoboFox on Wed May 11, 2011 1:02 pm

Chapel, Archer is one of the most well written and hilarious shows on TV. God I love that show.

I watch a bit of TV, not too much, but my favorites would be Futurama and Arrested Development.

I love skateboarding, and have been doing it for about 13 years now. Man, I didn't realize it had been that long! My favorite professional skateboarders are Eric Koston, Rodney Mullen, and Rob Dyrdek. Skateboarding is the most relaxing and fun thing I could do.

I love hanging out with friends and geeking over video game and nerd stuff more than actually participating I think. The social aspect is what makes anything enjoyable.

I draw silly comics which make no sense. I haven't been too into it lately, but I'm really trying to get myself a web-site and a webcomic going. Some of the people I look up to most are webcomic artists KC Green from Gunshow, Anthony from Nedroid, Tyson Hesse from Boxer Hockey, Kris Straub, Scott Kurtz, whoever does Lackadaisy, Doug TenNapel from Ratfist, and The Penny Arcade guys.

I love playing guitar and am in 2 local punk bands. I play lead in Captain Supermarket, and rhythm and vocals in Rexplosion. There's really nothing better than seeing a bunch of people cheering and enjoying something you've worked so hard to create.

Rub a dub dub, thanks for the grub. I love food and have been known to eat 18 tacos in a single sitting.

boltfan
    Gamer
    Gamer

Post by boltfan on Thu May 12, 2011 3:24 am

Other than games and college

I play drums (mainly at my church)

I'm a casual fan of anime

I go mountain biking, lots of fun singletrack where I live. Also manage to go snowboarding as often as I can (hard when the nearest real mountains are a 12 hour drive). I grew up skateboarding and building dirt jumps for bmx, but moving from SoCal to the lovely Mid South during high school kind of killed these for me.

and I recently joined a D&D group and it's way more fun than I expected. Although I had to get over the fact that myself and 3 other guys in their late teens and early twenties were hanging out with a DM old enough to be our dad...

kupomog
    Gamer
    Gamer

Post by kupomog on Thu May 12, 2011 4:51 am

I draw a lot. Mostly sketches and doodles nowadays. I don't ever have the drive to work on anything full scale that involves touching up and coloring. I'm trying to but I really need a graphics tablet to do what I want because it's insanely hard to work with a mouse. Lately I've been coloring in an old doodle of Dhalsim I did for a webcomic that never got off the ground. I'm kinda proud of it so far. I also haven't painted in a long time. It's hard work, lot of mess to deal with, and I simply don't have the space to set up my easel and get my acrylics out.

If I could, I would just sit around all day creating fan art for everything. Even for Talking Classics.

I listen to a lot of video game music otherwise and sometimes mix together tunes with Goldwave. Really simple work though, I don't really do crazy remixes. Mostly looping songs or splicing parts together. Probably the last thing I did was splice together the single version and cinematic version of "Passion" by Utada Hikaru to make one long song containing the best parts of both versions. It actually sounds pretty clean although the original files I used were not lossless. The next thing I'm probably gonna do is splice together some of the background music from Mirror's Edge from the Shard level.

I watch a decent amount of TV right now, more than I've watched in the past decade in general. Lots of hilarious shows out right now, I enjoy the sames shows as Chapel. Used to love Arrested Development, Lost (saw them filming frequently around the island), The Wire, and Big Love when they were airing. Waiting on new episodes of Young Justice, The Venture Bros., and Absolutely Fabulous to start up again. Used to be a giant nerd for The Simpsons but the love affair ended around season 12. Am also a sucker for just about anything that airs on Food Network. And I watch a small amount of anime. Was more into it when I was younger but I've been finding myself annoyed with some common conventions as of late.
    deadpixels

Post by deadpixels on Sat May 14, 2011 9:43 am

As of late, most of my time is spent working and spending the little free time I have with my wife and three year old son. I've got a lot of interests, but there's only so many hours in the day, so many of them pass me by more often than I'd like.

I run my own gaming site and forums at http://www.heypoorplayer.com, a website with reviews, previews, news, and challenges, but lately I've been so busy, and only have a handful of writing staff, so things have been coming along slowly. The forum is what sees the most action, and I'd really like to make it grow even more when I find more time.

I'm big into music of all genres (minus country, it causes me physical pain.). The Cure, Depeche Mode, Joy Division, RJD2, Aesop Rock, VNV Nation, Woflsheim, Melotron, Neurotic Fish, and Haujobb are some of my favorites, but I'm into pretty much everything- though electronic and industrial is something I gravitate to.

Skateboarding used to be a huge part of my life until I started started getting old and brittle. My back isn't what it used to be, dammit. I envy you guys who can still go out there without feeling like an arthritic mess. Then again, I'm not in the same shape I was ten years ago either, which I know has a lot to do with it.

Recently I've also gotten into Dungeons and Dragons. We try to play every week, but lately it's been every two weeks. Even though my lowly cleric is only level 2, we've been having tons of fun and my group already wants to venture out into other games like Shadowrun and Dead Lands.

That's pretty much the entirety of it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:52 pm