Talking Classics

We love video games but were talking classics here

Talking Classics: The Video Game (Unofficial)

Poll

Should I Totally Make It For Like In Real Life?

[ 5 ]
    71% [71%] 
    [ 2 ]
    29% [29%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 

Total Votes: 7
    Crono

Talking Classics: The Video Game (Unofficial)

Post by Crono on Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:09 pm

I've been tossing around the idea of developing a Talking Classics Text Adventure Video Game. Why text adventure? I've always wanted to make one ... and I don't have any sort of team. Also, it sort of fits, doesn't it?

I do not yet have any sort of permission from Keith to use his text likeness. I do plan on officially asking after I have a proof of concept ... However, outside of that I would like to gauge what people would want to see from something like this.

The base idea I have is maybe Keith is trying to hunt down a Nintendo M82 Demo Unit and has inner Sega-Fanboy struggle sub-plots.
    I would want to see a combat system based on arguing. An item combination system. As well as puzzle solving and relationships between characters and places such as the community in a rudimentary fashion ... For example, you should able to talk to people and run around and jump in trash cans.

But that's the basic idea I have ... anything can be changed and I really want to hear ideas from people.

Here's some tech info for people who are interested:
    Spoiler:

I'd plan on building the game in Java using an Object Oriented abstracted "engine". The actual aspects of the game, like rooms, would likely be bit-boards.

The front end, initially, would be the IRC channel. I can easily make a front end that is a bot that talks to the game on a per user basis. And user info can be stored in a database. The players would be able to play the game by going into chat and initiating it, the bot would then privately message the user and the game would take place there.

Now since I would be building this modularly the front end can be anything, so it could be built into a game client with graphics or a web browser, it's all very possible.

In addition to this I'd WANT to make an editor of some kind so people could make their own adventures too.

I don't know if this would OSS yet or not ... I'd prefer to have something really polished before I released source, but it's not something I intend to make money on or anything like that.

So ... let me know what everyone thinks ... good? bad? ideas? Kelly coop mode? Anything.
    Chapel

Re: Talking Classics: The Video Game (Unofficial)

Post by Chapel on Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:35 am

Do it. Why is there a poll? Why are you questioning it?

You should have already done it. XP

XBL, PSN, Raptr, Backloggery, Racketboy, steam, etc., screen name: brainofjtd
    Crono

Post by Crono on Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:49 am

I am! A proof of concept anyway.

Honestly, I'm phishing for additional ideas. Last thing I'd want to do is make something that gets lampooned because it doesn't have the spirit of what it's celebrating.
    YoshiEgg25
    Retro gamer
    Retro gamer

Post by YoshiEgg25 on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:50 am

From reading through both Problem Sleuth and Homestuck (two webcomics that are complete mindfucks), I think I have sufficient craziness to create a Keith Apicary story.

I'll come up with a layout of something in mind this weekend.
    Crono

Post by Crono on Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:44 am

Awesome. Very Happy
    Chapel

Post by Chapel on Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:24 am

YoshiEgg25 wrote:From reading through both Problem Sleuth and Homestuck (two webcomics that are complete mindfucks), I think I have sufficient craziness to create a Keith Apicary story.

Please for the love of God don't fill half of it with shipping and focusing on who-likes-who nonsense. That is all HS was for months there and we've finally gotten out of that rut. :p Otherwise, go for it.

XBL, PSN, Raptr, Backloggery, Racketboy, steam, etc., screen name: brainofjtd
    YoshiEgg25
    Retro gamer
    Retro gamer

Post by YoshiEgg25 on Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:38 am

Chapel wrote:
    YoshiEgg25 wrote:From reading through both Problem Sleuth and Homestuck (two webcomics that are complete mindfucks), I think I have sufficient craziness to create a Keith Apicary story.

Please for the love of God don't fill half of it with shipping and focusing on who-likes-who nonsense. That is all HS was for months there and we've finally gotten out of that rut. :p Otherwise, go for it.

Hahaha, if I do that, I'll just subvert it with a "THIS IS STUPID." Razz

To tell the truth, this idea I have seems better as a MSPA-style comic. I might run with it on my own (unless someone wants to help draw?).

Okay, so new idea.

Keith is traveling to SGC 2011, and flies from Providence to General Mitchell International Airport in Milwaukee. While there, he is kidnapped by a band of anti-Sega thugs, later found to be helmed by Olivia Munn. He travels through the great dungeon he's trapped in to find her, when it turns out he's actually in Miller Park (where the Brewers play). He is able to escape with the help of Bernie Brewer (Brewers mascot), then hitchhikes to SGC in Kenosha to confront Olivia in an epic five-round battle.
    Crono

Post by Crono on Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:52 am

I could see some elements of that working well.

Since I made the original post I've done some more thinking one setting and things like that. And I think, what I primarily want to do is sort of expand what you see in the show into a full fledged town. (With a game structured around exploring the area and it changing over time as well as your perspective changing as your character changes. Sort of like Metroid)

And maybe the game will still cross paths with the episodes of the show (going off the premise that the show is taped by an actual crew)

NPCs are a big part of any sort of adventure or RPG game (And I'm thinking this will be a combo of both)
    YoshiEgg25
    Retro gamer
    Retro gamer

Post by YoshiEgg25 on Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:15 am

Yeah, I'm glad I just came up with that idea on a whim and am keeping my other idea for that MSPA-style comic. Suits it better.

In other news, I'm going to see if I can start that soon.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:49 pm